Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Career Choices

Lately I have been thinking a lot about my career. Currently, I'm frustrated with it and I'm tired of feeling that way. I'm struggling with what my next step needs to be. I can't say that I don't find my job fulfilling at all. It challenges me at times and I like that. I work for a great company. I like that, too.

It's just that, ten years ago, I would never have thought I would find myself settled in a career in Supply Management. I mean, my Bachelors degree is in Criminal Justice/Sociology... which, of course, has nothing to do with Purchasing. But then after going to the police academy, and deciding I didn't want to be a police officer, I think I felt like I was stuck. I've worked for this company since I was 17 and didn't know where else to go. Looking back, that seems ridiculous. And I can't help but think, what if... what if I continued going to school for a Masters degree? What if I pursued my passion? Just because I realized being a police officer wasn't the career choice for me, doesn't mean I shouldn't have pursued something else within the Criminal Justice field.

I know, I should be grateful that I have a job in this economy, right? But I want more. I continually take on extra work because I am bored with my job responisibilities and I want to advance to a higher position. Over the last several years working in this department, that hasn't happened. Within the last 2 years I've been moved to different positions within the department to help me "grow" (I was told by management both times that this was "great career move" for me), yet I've watched two people on the same level as me get promotions over me and when I ask what I'm doing wrong, I'm simply told, "nothing... you're doing a great job and are on the right track." I find my boss giving me extra responsibilities because he knows he can count on me. While I think that's great and welcome those opportunities, I also sometimes feel taken advantage of.

Lately, I find myself constantly questioning whether I should just stay here, continuing to do the best I can for this company and hope an opportunity comes my way... or if I should seriously start considering moving on. I told M that I feel like I'm getting no where. I'm an ambitious person and this isn't working for me.

Meanwhile, my job helps pay the bills and helps M and I afford the things/lifestyle we like. M's suggestion was that we come up with a time frame. When that time frame is up, if I am still unhappy, then I can quit. I don't know how I feel about that. For one, I am stubborn and my pride will not let me quit my job while M supports me, although I know he would never look at it that way. Second, I know I also wouldn't be happy quitting my job without a plan in place. Besides, let's face it, trying to start over in this economy is scary.

What's worth more? Sucking it up, continue doing what I'm doing so we can live our current lifestyle comfortably? Or doing something that would make me happy but having to make some serious sacrifices?

I wish there were easier answers.

1 comment:

  1. I'm telling you from experience it means its time for you to seek a new job. Change is hard. But if do the same thing the same way then you will get the same result. Onces you start getting unsatisfied you will begin to complain and get all moody. There are so many different jobs in the investigation field. Why don't you volunteer and be a hearing officer in a school system. You are like the judge of cases for kids who happen to get in a little trouble its like a monthly volunteer thing. Check your school board if you live in a big city. Its time to do something new.

    ReplyDelete